The 2DS in pics: How does the size compare?

by Ben Salter Featured 35 Comments 27 Votes 11786 Views 08/10/2013 Back to Articles

We got our hands on a Nintendo 2DS this morning and immediately sized it up against its big brother and the Wii U GamePad.

The 2DS is more or less the same size as the original 3DS and, as you would expect, dwarfed by the Wii U GamePad.

Having used a DS, DS Lite, 3DS and now 3DS XL, the square design feels strange, as both index fingers strive to rest atop the L and R buttons while the bottom of my palm stretches to firmly clasp the tail-end of the unit as if it were a horizontal 3DS.

It's going to take a little bit of getting used to — check back later this week for our full review ahead of the 2DS Australian launch on October 12.

Link to us http://ds.mmgn.com/Articles/the-2ds-in-pics-how-does-the-size-compar
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

The 2DS in pics: How does the size compare? Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
Certainly feels like it's for kids, but if you only want to play a few games I'd definitely consider it for the price.
Whats it like play wise?

Lo33 said: Whats it like play wise?

I'll let you know in a few days, but first impressions are that it's pretty much the regular DS, flattened without 3D, which looks small to me since I'm used to the 3DS XL.

Not really portable though. More for kids to play at home.

chucky110 said: They could of easily updated firmware overriding the 3d switch on the 3ds. But no, they would rather make a whole new console top get parents to buy yet another one

I think it's targeting more as a budget option. It's only $150 and will survive a few more harsh drops than the 3DS and its hinge.

I think it's a good idea, but I'm concerned about the name. 2DS on the box with DS and 3DS logos in the corner doesn't really make it clear if you don't really know what you're meant to be buying.
Size doesn't matter The 2DS in pics: How does the size compare?

MicDaMan said: Size doesn't matter

Yes it does.

Gryllis said:

I agree its a great starting console for youngs kids which quite frankly not many respect stuff these days
I think it's great if you're not interested in carrying it around.
How's the battery life on it?
I just noticed how how up the control stick and that is up that console. Does it feel weird to play??

Azza said: How's the battery life on it?

That means we'd have to actually play games on it come on @Azza.

Tano said:
That means we'd have to actually play games on it come on @Azza.

Did they send you copies of Pokemon X/Y in advance? If so, I'm going to organise some sort of assault on MMGN HQ.

1wiierdguy said: My sons 3ds top screen just died, looks like he might be getting a 2ds as a replacement.

Poor kid :'(
I can't imagine any kid 'wanting' this. It maybe a good idea for 3 year olds or for saving the parents a few quid but you ain't gonna look cool with one of these, i'd hate my parents lol :P

Azza said:

Tano said:
That means we'd have to actually play games on it come on @Azza.

No -_-

Huddo said:

M@ndyz said:

MicDaMan said: Size doesn't matter

thats what she said.....

...she lied.

She did?

Yep The 2DS in pics: How does the size compare?

You know what, it really doesn't look as bad as I previously thought it did. My one thing about this is that as a Nintendo handheld user for many years, I'm used to the screens being protected by the console itself. Are they going to release a safety pouch or something similar in the future? I can see this being damaged pretty easy.

Also, what actually happens when a game requires 3D?

Matteh said:
Also, what actually happens when a game requires 3D?

Do any games require it? Why would they?
I think the biggest problem this device suffers is in the name.

Olly said:

Matteh said:
Also, what actually happens when a game requires 3D?

Do any games require it? Why would they?
I think the biggest problem this device suffers is in the name.

Doesn't technically require it, but theres a level in one of the Mario games that needs it to see where to jump to next or else the whole screen is flat.

Olly said:

Poor kid

My son is young enough that all he cares about is being able to play games. He couldn't give a toss about image, that's for older people who think their choice of console makes them cool.
I simply don't like it. :P
It just seems like a waste by Nintendo, I understand they are targetting children with this, and you can tell just by looking at it. It looks like an upsized cheap McDonalds toy.
I really don't know who will buy this, but unfortunately I know that SOME people SOMEWHERE will buy it.

1wiierdguy said:

Olly said:

Poor kid

I miss the days when I played a game and enjoyed it. Didn't care about the console, graphics or achievements. Ah, those were the days.
@Matteh yeah there is a Carry pouch for it.

And that's it everyone hates it.... I'm buying one The 2DS in pics: How does the size compare?
@Matteh it did come with a case, but I suspect it is sold separately.

The screens could get fingerprinty, but I don't think they'll get badly scratched. The unit itself feels super durable, so I think it was designed to be thrown around.

No hinge joint aye I didnt see that coming.

Jtec said: but unfortunately I know that SOME people SOMEWHERE will buy it.

@1wiierdguy above you is probably about to make his kid the only person in Australia to own one :P

I don't know i saw one today and they are pretty awful, it just reminds me of some Fisher Price/Leap Frog tablet thing for kids.
Lo33
I bet heaps of kids get them for xmas and are devastated they didn't get a 3ds
A 3ds is pretty much 300$ some parents don't have that kind of money. Some do, I don't see it as right when the kid behaves,gets good grades,and does their chores for the parents that do have money,and they don't buy the kid a 3ds -_-

Olly said:

Jtec said: but unfortunately I know that SOME people SOMEWHERE will buy it.

Yep, I'm sure I'll be the only one. [Shifty] www.nintendolife.com/...

Lo33 said: I bet heaps of kids get them for xmas and are devastated they didn't get a 3ds

That'll be the sad thing about this. Kids are shits when it comes to getting what they want, if a parent buys them a 2DS instead of a 3DS, they would go mad.
If you are a parent buying for your kids this is a a good way to go, its cheaper plus there's less risk of them breaking the screen off.