Is Zelda: Ocarina of Time still worth $40?

by Ben Salter Featured 22 Comments 25 Votes 2010 Views 19/02/2013 Back to News
Get the Adobe Flash Player to see this video.

For a limited time, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is $39.95 on the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

Apparently that's cheap, since it's going back up to its original price of $69.95 on Thursday.

Is a 15-year-old classic really still worth that much?

Sure, Ocarina will go down in history as one of the greatest games of all time, but is $40 really a "sale" price in 2013?

Sans-3D and Master Quest, it was $15 on the Wii Virtual Console in 2007.

Are you happy to pay $40 as a "sale" price for Ocarina of Time?

By Ben Salter

Link to us http://ds.mmgn.com/News/is-zelda-ocarina-of-time-still-worth-40
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

More Info on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Is Zelda: Ocarina of Time still worth $40? Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
No way. Even a physical copy at that price is ridiculous.
I think it's totally worth it. It still has the exact same value as it did at launch, and even then it wasn't exactly "new"; we already knew what was coming, and most people had already played the game before.

The lack of multiplayer/online gaming means the game still has the exact same worth it did at launch, on the exact same system, with better value. A no-brainer in my opinion, if you were waiting for it to go down in price at least (if you don't like Zelda or don't want a remake then this won't change your mind). [WTF]
Yep. Worth every cent. Even at $69.95 its worth it. One of the best games ever, with improved graphics, 3d, and portable.
I disagree that it's worth $70, but $40? Yeah, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is totally worth it.

Final Fantasy VII however, is absolutely worth $70 and I'd gladly pay $40+ for the other Final Fantasy VII Compilation games, too...
$40?
go online and pay Less and get the Physical copy. Lol
dont waste your time spending 40 bucks on something
you dont have the actual cartridge for.
you do know that you can buy 1000wii point ($15)
and get on the wiishop
ill buy it at $40 but not $70
why are we paying money for old gaaaaaames maaaaaaan they should be freeee after ten yeeeeaaaarrrrsss, hd re-releases are just companies after some caaaaassssh maaaaaaan

open your eyes duuuuuuuuude

Seems nostalgia blinds judgment in many cases.

JJake said: Seems nostalgia blinds judgment in many cases.


I sure as heck never owned a N64/GameCube (I had a PS1/PS2), this was the first time I'd played it. I think it was more than worth it, and for me I had a fully-fledged Zelda game (also considered by some the very best one) months after launch. For everyone else it was a cheap remake, but for me it was pure bliss. (*)
Worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't pay anymore than $40 for it (unless it was the collectors edition). The game is good but I feel Nintendo has released it too many times. Sure it is updated but it has been made so much easier and I find it quite boring.
The price isn't high to "rip off" customers who purchase the game for nostalgic value.. put it this way:

Grezzo and Nintendo worked together to redevelop the engine to rid the game of some crippling bugs that are evident in the original title. (If you don't believe me, go and watch some current speedruns of the game.. it is riddled with bugs).

Such development costs time and money. Programmers, artists and musicians all worked to re-imagine the game in such a way that it can *work* as its own game in the modern day.

Since it was developed as a retail game, it is sold as a retail game. Nintendo / Grezzo need to pay their employees and turn over profit for investors.. that's how these businesses work.

Simply put, it was developed as a retail game.. it was not simply a cut & paste of an old game with refreshed visuals.

Not to mention, from the customer side of things.. wow.

3D, re-imagined Zelda: OoT with Master quest. That's at least 20 hours (x2 for master quest) depending on how much you get caught up in collecting everything. This is all at 30FPS to each eye as opposed to what the original and emulated (ie, Virtual Console) copies work at.

I'd happily pay $70 for it if I didn't already have it, knowing how amazing this is.. especially compared to the majority of games available in the market today: $70-$100 for a 7 hour campaign, with a dull and repetitive multiplayer mode used to increase replay value.

Besides, there's clearly demand for it. The game has sold incredibly well at RRP, and continues to do so. :) Nintendo, and retailers, won't drop the price "just because" when people are still paying top dollar.

My $0.02 anyway. :)
i got this for $10 at the dick smith closing down sale lol

Harry said: The price isn't high to "rip off" customers who purchase the game for nostalgic value.. put it this way:
Grezzo and Nintendo worked together to redevelop the engine to rid the game of some crippling bugs that are evident in the original title. (If you don't believe me, go and watch some current speedruns of the game.. it is riddled with bugs).
Such development costs time and money. Programmers, artists and musicians all worked to re-imagine the game in such a way that it can *work* as its own game in the modern day.
Since it was developed as a retail game, it is sold as a retail game. Nintendo / Grezzo need to pay their employees and turn over profit for investors.. that's how these businesses work.
Simply put, it was developed as a retail game.. it was not simply a cut & paste of an old game with refreshed visuals.
Not to mention, from the customer side of things.. wow.
3D, re-imagined Zelda: OoT with Master quest. That's at least 20 hours (x2 for master quest) depending on how much you get caught up in collecting everything. This is all at 30FPS to each eye as opposed to what the original and emulated (ie, Virtual Console) copies work at.
I'd happily pay $70 for it if I didn't already have it, knowing how amazing this is.. especially compared to the majority of games available in the market today: $70-$100 for a 7 hour campaign, with a dull and repetitive multiplayer mode used to increase replay value.
Besides, there's clearly demand for it. The game has sold incredibly well at RRP, and continues to do so. Nintendo, and retailers, won't drop the price "just because" when people are still paying top dollar.
My $0.02 anyway.


what the **** is wrong with you? they obviously want our money

sjt333 said: what the **** is wrong with you? they obviously want our money


0mg nahhh $0ny wantz ur moneys. idiot head. [Facepalm]
perhaps i should add a nudge nudge wink wink to my previous post

sjt333 said: perhaps i should add a nudge nudge wink wink to my previous post


idiot head
more like .40c is all its worth

gammaray13 said: more like .40c is all its worth


Good one.

Pilkingbod said:

sjt333 said: perhaps i should add a nudge nudge wink wink to my previous post


idiot head


doodoo head

gammaray13 said: more like .40c is all its worth


says the person with the crysis 3 avatar

sjt333 said:

Pilkingbod said:

sjt333 said: perhaps i should add a nudge nudge wink wink to my previous post


idiot head


doodoo head

gammaray13 said: more like .40c is all its worth


says the person with the crysis 3 avatar


oh you hurt my feelings :'(

sjt333 said: perhaps i should add a nudge nudge wink wink to my previous post



Harry said: 0mg nahhh $0ny wantz ur moneys. idiot head.


*nudge nudge*
*wink wink*

Post a comment

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • zelda truck
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Video
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Video
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Video

Recently Read

Featured 3DS Content

GOTY 2015: Best Game Of 2015

GOTY 2015: Best Game Of 2015

22/12/2015 Polls 16 14
Friendly Fire Show 122: The Finale

Friendly Fire Show 122: The Finale

Podcast 21/03 Articles 15 6
Friendly Fire Show 121's The Divided
Podcast 15/03 Articles 7 3
Australian game sales approach $3b, mostly digital
maxiboy 13/03 News 11 10
Target store in SA displays games in plain packaging

Target store in SA displays games in plain packaging

maxiboy 13/03 News 6 11
Friendly Fire Show 120: I swear, by the Sun and Moon...
Podcast 02/03 Articles 7 1
Friendly Fire Show 119: Weekend at Tano's

Friendly Fire Show 119: Weekend at Tano's

Podcast 23/02 Articles 7 1
Friendly Fire Show 118: R.I.P. Tano

Friendly Fire Show 118: R.I.P. Tano

Podcast 11/02 Articles 4 3
Friendly Fire Show 117: It's not goodbye, it's Halo!

Friendly Fire Show 117: It's not goodbye, it's Halo!

Podcast 01/02 Articles 8 4

Community Content

Fallout-themed excuses to get the day off

Fallout-themed excuses to get the day off

09/11/2015 Blog 23 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

obatherbal is now Level 2!

obatherbal 20 hours ago
Username

commented on Australian game sales approach $3b, mostly digital

kizihot 2 days ago
Username

commented on Just Cause 3 multiplayer mod on the way

marthabroo 3 days ago
Username

Rapsody228 is now Level 13!

Rapsody228 4 days ago
Username

commented on Australian game sales approach $3b, mostly digital

Ahmed225 6 days ago
Username

commented on Friendly Fire Show 122: The Finale

tenggoro 18/05/2016
Username

CybaCowboy wants Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare, Red Dead Redemption, Dead or Alive 5, Gone Home and other 3 games

CybaCowboy 15/05/2016